8.5 Clinical symptoms and management of chronic poisoning of Heavy metals – Copper: Copper is a lustrous, ductile, malleable, odourless solid with a distinct golden-red or reddish-brown colour. It is an essential trace element, being the third most abundant trace element in the body, and is an important catalyst for haeme synthesis and iron absorption. Metallic copper itself probably has little or no toxicity, although reports in the literature are conflicting. Copper salts produce toxicity. Soluble salts, such as copper sulfate are strong irritants to skin and mucous membranes.

This topic describes: Uses, Toxicity Level, Mechanism, Clinical (Toxic) Symptoms, Investigations/Diagnosis and Management of chronic poisoning of Heavy metals – Copper.

Heavy metals – Copper Poisoning

Also checkout: Full Clinical Toxicology Notes Pharm.D Notes for Other Subjects