Plants poisoning – Mushrooms: Some plants can be poisonous if you eat them. Others can hurt you if you get them on your skin. For some plants, all parts of the plant are poisonous. For others, only certain parts of the plant are harmful. The danger can range from mild irritation to severe illness or death. A few commonly grown plants are highly poisonous, and many plants are moderately poisonous (see Table: Moderately Poisonous Plants). Few plant poisonings have specific antidotes. Most plant ingestions, including the plants listed in see Table: Moderately Poisonous Plants, result in minimal symptoms unless the leaves and other components are concentrated into a paste or brewed into a tea. The term “mushroom” actually refers to the reproductive portion of a fungus which grows up from an underground mycelium, i.e. mass of filaments or hyphae constituting the vegetative portion of the fungus. Of the numerous species of mushrooms, less than 5% are poisonous, while many are edible and are very popular in Western and Chinese cuisine. All toxic mushrooms belong to two divisions: Basidiomycetes and Ascomycetes.

This topic describes: Classification, Mechanism, Clinical (Toxic) Symptoms, Toxicity Level, Investigations/Diagnosis and Management of Plants poisoning – Mushrooms.

Plants poisoning – Mushrooms

Also checkout: Full Clinical Toxicology Notes Pharm.D Notes for Other Subjects